#1 Speed Training Program for High School Athletes
Elite Speed Academy, powered by OAK Athletic Development is a game-changing speed and agility training camp designed to give high school athletes the skills to blow past the competition. Your search for speed development is officially over.
WHAT IS JUNIOR VARSITY COMPLETE ATHLETE DEVELOPMENT?
Junior Varsity Complete Athlete Development is an annual training program for middle school athletes (11-14) who want to maximize their athletic development during the critical years before high school.
We start training JV athletes as young as age 11 and all the way up through 8th grade, where our athlete's transition to the Varsity program.
The program is comprehensive, meaning we train all primary athletic qualities during every workout (speed, strength, agility, balance, coordination, power, flexibility and even mental skills like focus, team work and mental toughness. Our end goal for this age group is the following:
Keep all athletes pain and injury free in training and in their sport
Develop athleticism and strength so they are well ahead of their peer group when they get to high school
Develop a championship mindset where they understand work ethic, accountability and mental toughness by the time they reach high school
What You Can Expect And What Our Clients Tell Us They Value The Most
Personal connection and relationship our athletes build with our coaches
Training programs that focus on proper form and progression over time
Regularly updated and athlete specific training programs
Consistent and significant gains in strength, speed, coordination and athleticism
The success of our program is predicated upon our program’s consistent delivery and unique value based upon specialization, expert coaching and atmosphere.
Specialization- Unique to OAK AD and a major factor in our athlete’s accelerated improvements are the individualized speed and strength programs. We have years of experience developing literally thousands of high school programs and piles of data to support our methods and training system.
Expert Coaching- We like to say you can’t fake skill, and our coach’s true teaching skill is self-evident within an athlete’s first workout. We believe the impact of a great coach on an athlete can be life changing. Any coach can yell and scream but it takes a skilled teacher to help athletes develop important skills and build consistency in technique and accountability. Our highly skilled coaches are truly second to none in our industry and make a huge difference in our athletes’ on-going development.
Atmosphere- The one thing we will have no problem bragging about is the quality of the student athlete we get the opportunity to work with on a daily basis. As a whole some of the brightest and most mature aspiring student athletes lead the way in our varsity program. Whether they are boasting a 4.0 GPA, headed to an Ivy League School or head are captain of their travel team, we truly are privileged to work with some of the future young leaders of America.
This creates a supportive and motivating environment and culture that any parent would love to have their child involved with.
First of all, you’ve made a great choice! Before any workouts begin we will need to schedule a 1-on-1 athlete assessment. This appointment is the crucial and unique first step that will begin our athlete’s journey to long-term success. During the Athlete Assessment we will:
Talk about athlete's goals and perceived areas of need
Complete head-to-toe movement assessment which looks at flexibility, body awareness and injury risk
Complete athlete specific performance testing which will place athlete in specific percentile for age compared to peers
Discuss what training option works best
Upon completion on the assessment, assuming you like what you hear, the athlete will enroll in our 21-Day Jump Start Program. This three week training program allows the athlete to get a feel for the program, our coaches and the facility before making a long-term commitment.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE JUMP-START PROGRAM ENDS?
If we can’t convince you during the Jump-Start Program that we’re the best gym in Bourbonnais, walk away with no further obligation.
If you do choose to stay with us, which we think you will, we will ask the athlete to make a personal commitment to their own success and the program. From there, we will use all of our resources to provide them with the absolute best programming, coaching and training experience we can on a consistent basis.
Every 12-weeks or season, we provide athletes and parents with a Training Progress Report. This thorough report contains seasonal milestones, summary of training and even video clips. In addition, we have scheduled Test Days where our Junior Varsity athletes strut their stuff and see where they stack up against their age group in a sport specific testing protocol.
Quick kids is a fitness program for youth athletes ages 8-11, which will help them build self-confidence, responsibility, team work and of overall athleticism in a supportive environment, where they truly look forward to every workout.
Why Young Athletes Need This Program...
1) Extreme growth in early sports specialization- Unfortunately a growing problem our youth athletes face is the pressure or perception from their peer groups that they need to specialize in a sport and or position as early as possible. This often leads to physical overuse injuries, and mental burnout; in addition, to an athlete who lacks a wide range of athletic skills. As a young athlete it is critical to build as wide and as broad an athletic foundation as possible. It is this foundation or lack thereof which will be critical in predicting whether they develop later on during their teenage years or not.
2) Loss of genuine enjoyment of being physically fit- As parents I know you see it every day. With technology and a changing classroom curriculum we often see more and more sitting and less and less physical activity (recess, gym class, game playing). The reality remains, kids at this age need to play every day. Not just regimented and structured team and sport practices. Even though we want them to succeed today, ultimately, we are planting the seed for tomorrow. That seed doesn’t grow unless the young athlete learns to actually enjoy exercise by having a good experience.
The 4 Goals of Quick Kids Speed Camp
1) Improve self-confidence- As a coach who works with youth athletes every day I can say without reserve that the modern day youth athlete’s are lacking self-confidence as a whole. Obviously this is much bigger than sports and if we can start to develop self-esteem at a young age we are going to do everything in our power to help young athletes develop a personal belief system so that self-doubt and fear of failure are something they will never have to confront when they are older.
2) Responsibility- We believe one of the keys to keeping youth engaged and value what is asked of them is by requiring them to take ownership for what they do. What better way to develop accountability than setting the guidelines from day one. We want to have lots of fun but at the same time we will always hold our athletes accountable for their actions no matter their age.
3) Teamwork- Another skill that goes beyond the playing field, the ability to cooperatively work with those around you to achieve a common purpose never ends in life and we want to continue planting the seed to facilitate that growth and get rid of any possible resistance that exists. The Quick Kids program is structured around a team concept which requires the cooperation, effort and communication and praise of all team members all of the time.
4) Physical Growth- Here’s an honest truth. At your child’s age any training program they perform will get them stronger and probably help to some degree. It’s true, not many people in my position would admit that but the reality is for a 9 year who lacks overall strength; almost any general strength program will help them get stronger to some degree. But herein lies the difference. Any program will promise improvements in strength, speed, quickness, coordination, flexibility and everything else. What every program cannot promise or at least provide is habit building which will lead to long term accelerated physical development. Everything works, until it doesn’t and then you better have a plan. We have a short and long term plan and are very confident in guaranteeing the biggest physical and mental changes you will see anywhere.
Workouts will be a total of 45 minutes. We believe at this age group any shorter and we can’t get everything we want out of the session, any longer and we start to lose energy and focus. Each class will consist of a dynamic warm-up, linear speed mechanics/drills, multi-direction mechanics and drills, bodyweight strength training and balance, coordination and fun fitness games.
As far as our coaching philosophy goes, we will utilize the principle of guided discovery. This basically means half of the time we will provide direct feedback and coaching to achieve the desired outcome. The other 50% we will let the athlete try and figure it out on their own without any coaching cues. This is why we consider it guided discovery. We believe this method of coaching is best for this specific age group as they are able to get more in-tune with their bodies and build spacial and body awareness, while over coaching can easily leave them over whelmed and unable to complete a task or more importantly build off of a specific skill from week to week.
When Will Quick Kids Start?
Spring Quick Kids Camp begins Tuesday March 7th and runs through Saturday May 27th. This 12-week training program will be offered three times per week. You will have the option of signing up for class 1-2 or 3 times per week.
The cost of the program breaks down to just $10/class. • 3 days per week= $360 pay in-full • 2 days per week= $240 pay in-full • 1 day per week = $120 pay in-full
Plainly and simply, NO. The program is not sport specific. The primary reason we developed this program is the overabundance of early sport specific training which is leading to more and more youth injuries and apathy for exercise and physical fitness at an older age. This program is about long term athletic and personal development, we are not trying to develop 10 year old national champions. If this isn’t what you are looking for then we recommend you look elsewhere as we will never sacrifice a child’s future for short term gains.
What can I except for my child to gain from this program?
You can and should expect that: 1) your child is willing to take charge more often, 2) shows genuine enjoyment in improving their fitness, 3) willing to work with others and show support, 4) Noticeable improvements in the way they move and their self-awareness.
Are there any tests or assessment that actually measure progress?
No, we already discussed how we measure progress. As I mentioned in a previous email, at this age group almost any training program will improve strength and speed to some degree. We are looking at so much more than just the change in a vertical jump or 10 yard dash time. We are much more interested in helping these young athletes build a personal belief system and a lifetime commitment to their fitness than seeing if the improved their vertical jump. There is a time to start looking at numbers and performance data but ages 8-11 is not it. The reality is at this age group physical growth is completely non-linear, meaning one athlete may not change much in an eight week period compared to a peer who shows tremendous growth. These are growth variables which no one has control over but it is very important to recognize. This is another reason why emphasizing developing good habits will help them much more in the long run.
How does class scheduling work?
• If you sign-up for 3 days/week obviously you would come to all 3 classes we offer each week. • If you sign-up for 2 days/week you will have the option of picking 2 of 3 days available. • If you sign-up for 1 day/week you will have the option of picking 1 of 3 days available.
How do I sign-up for Quick Kids?
If you’re ready to sign-up for Quick Kids we will need to schedule a 15-minute Meet the Coach session. For this age group we really don’t need to do any preliminary assessment or testing so instead we use this 15-minute session for the athletes to meet their coach, discuss expectations and answer any of your questions. In addition during this time we will handle scheduling and payments.
ASC is a training program for performance-driven adults who compete to be successful in all aspects of life and want high-level coaching that will help them look and feel like an athlete once again.
WHEN IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Monday: 6a, 630a, 7a, 730a, 8a, 830a, 530p, 6p
Wednesday: 6a, 630a, 7a, 730a, 8a, 830a, 530p, 6p
Friday: 6a, 630a, 7a, 730a, 8a, 830a, 530p, 6p
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Goal and Movement Assessment:
Before you start working with us we want to find out what drives you. We want to know exactly what you are looking to achieve and any limitations we might have to overcome along the way. Your goal and movement assessment will provide you the athlete and us the coaches with an exact blueprint to help reach your goals.
During your assessment we will learn about your specific goals, health history and any past injuries. We will also take you through a movement screen that will look at your overall movement skill, looking at things like balance, flexibility and body awareness using the Functional Movement Screen (FMS). During the FMS we will have you perform basic movements and we will find out where your program should start and what we need to work on.
For example, we will learn about any imbalances you may have that could eventually lead to an injury. The FMS is scored from 1-21, with 21 being the best anyone can get. You will get a movement score that will be incorporated into your individual blueprint and your coach will guide you on what the next best step is for you. If you score above a 12 we are comfortable with you joining our small group coaching right away. If you score under a 12 we would want you to spend a few weeks making sure you are ready for a more aggressive program by working on an exercise program that will specifically work on improving any major limitations found during the initial assessment.
Upon completion of the assessment and consult, assuming you like what you hear, will enroll in our 21-Day Jump Start Program. This three week personal training program allows you to get a feel for the program, our coaches and the facility before making a long term commitment. The cost of the 21-Day Jump Start Program is just $99.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE JUMP-START PROGRAM ENDS?
If we can't convince you during your Jump-Start program that we're the best gym in Bourbonnais, walk away with no further obligation.
If you do choose to stay with us, which we think you will, we will continue to train towards your goals with regularly updated training programs that will keep things fun, challenging, but most importantly reflective of your goals and ability levels.
For most of our new clients we begin with training that is geared towards buidling a strong fitness foundation which is characterized by building strength flexibility, stamina and exercise technique. Once we feel you have built a strong fitness foundation and shown good technique on your exercises we will reassess and talk about building you an even more specific goal oriented training program. For all adult programs we break down our training emphasis into the following categories:
After reviewing the categories we will ask you to choose two of these to be your training emphasis for the next 12 weeks. We wil talk about goals for the next 12 weeks, any forseeable obstacles, and a specific plan of action to follow. This process continue every 12-weeks or whenever we feel the need to reassess or change gears.
The Adult Strength and Conditioning program is for the adult who has the desire and determination to work hard so that they can regain the strength, flexibility and mobility they had when they were younger. It's also for the adult who isn't afraid to push themselves, who isn't afraid to sweat, and isn't afraid to break out of their comfort zone because you will get out what you put in with this program. The program is for the adult that is defining their progression by how strong they feel week after week of working hard, not by the number of "likes" they get on social media because you "checked in" at the gym today. -Shannon (Adult Client)
The BOD POD is an extremely accurate and fast way to measure your body composition. We are fortunate enough to have the only BOD POD within 50 miles of the Kankakee area. The test requires the individual sit still in the BOD POD for fewer than 2 minutes. The BOD POD is noninvasive, but does require the individual to wear minimal/tight clothing (for men: compression shorts or spandex, for women: spandex and sports bra, swimsuit). The BOD POD is used by many professional sports teams, college universities and the U.S. military. The BOD POD located at our facility was one of the BOD POD's used at the 2010 NFL combine.
We offer offsite programming for those who cannot train with us at our facility. Whether you live five minutes of 50 miles away you can still benefit from our total body comprehensive assessment and fitness programming. Whatever your starting point whatever your goal our programs can help change the way you look, move and feel.